[Edited info. and re-posted ]
That which I received, I also pass on. I do by many forms, methods, and language of understanding, as well as lifestyles, interests, and any other means that I may reach many. So that each ear may hear, each eye may see. I scatter the Word to the virtual wind, perchance that some may take root. While there is breath in my lungs, I carry the message of good news to those who may listen and hear in their own lingo of preference.
Hint: see the questions I list for myself at the bottom of the page.
From his First Letter to the church at Thessaloniki from our good Brother Paul of Tarsus.
We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words.
Now concerning the times and the seasons, brothers and sisters, you have no need to have anything written to you. For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you are not in darkness, brothers, for that day to surprise you like a thief. For you are all children of light, children of the day. We are not of the night or of the darkness. So then let us not sleep, as others do, but let us keep awake and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, are drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, having put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation. For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing.
Chapters 4:13-18, 5:1-11
From the Second Letter to the church at Thessaloniki from our good Brother Paul, of Tarsus.
Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered together to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, not to be quickly shaken in mind or alarmed, either by a spirit or a spoken word, or a letter seeming to be from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come. Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things?
And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will destroy with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Chapter 2, vss. 5-12
[English Standard Version Bible]
Notes to myself:
- Who is the Lawless one? (not yet revealed).
- Is He who now restrains him going to be taken out of the way slowly or suddenly?
- What is “the rebellion that comes first”? Is Paul speaking of the great apostasy, the falling away of those from the church? Or is his meaning the sudden eruption of lawlessness we are now witnessing?
- Paul speaks of, “the son of perdition, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.” This happened in 2nd Century B.C when Antiochus IV Epiphanes sacked Jerusalem and defiled the Temple. Yet, Paul speaks of it in the future tense. Is Paul speaking literally or metaphorical/spiritually?
- [Late Editor’s Note: Being that the author neglected to remember that 2 Thessalonians was written by Paul in about 51-52 A.D, and the Roman army destroyed Jerusalem, along with the total destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D., The desecration of by the destruction of the temple is counted by some, would have happened at that time, which was still future as Paul wrote. The thinking is because of the Roman ritual of setting their Standard, which bore an imprint of Caesar, in a conquered territory’s capitol. They would have set this Standard up in the center of the destroyed Temple. It was also Roman custom to require those conquered to bow down and swear fealty to this image of Roman power. This has been interpreted by some scholars as Caesar “taking his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.“]
- Lord God, You have all the answers while I have all the questions. We make a team as I work with You. As You give us the understanding of the season we are now in, I may SEE the answers to my questions played out before my eyes in my lifetime. All it would take is a turn of Your page. You alone hold the Book of Life, You alone know how many more You have yet to gather to You. You alone know the completion date You, by Your decree, have set for the fullness of mankind’s finished development, according to Your goodness of plan. May Your will be done Your way. Amen.